Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm a Blonde Freak HERE!!!

Ok, so I've moved into my little teeny tiny town called Taebaek. It is a totally charming place to live - very quiet, mountains in every direction, a clean river runs through town and it even has a bowling alley. I'm starting to get used to our small flat - which has an electronic lock on the front door. Mike raised the question of what if the battery goes flat - I'm guessing that why we were given lots of mobile numbers on a laminated page.

I'm in an all Boys middle school and am teaching 1st, 2nd and 3rd
years. My 3rd year students I have twice a week. Which means more work for me!

Today I tried an interview & name card exercise - apart from the fact no-one
interviewed anyone else - they ALL did their own name cards!!!! I think that's
my bad direction. One of the boys (whg is very outgoing) wrote his name and his phone number and "Call me please". He was supposed to be drawing/writing about things he likes eg. sports or colours. I had to laugh. I didn't think they'd
grasp a Rove style; What the..???

I have spent the rest of the day fielding "you're beautiful" and trying to wrestle the students back to practising speaking English with me. After all, I'm basically just here to talk with them. The weirdest one was one student asking for me to pull out a hair for him.

Apart from that, I haven't had any autograph requests but am hoping
that my overall oddness here will increase the size of my conversation
classes.

The teachers here are all keen to throw any english words at me -
which is sweet. I'm a little intimidated by the Teacher class I will
have on Thursday's.

Yesterday was my second wedding anniversary and we went out to dinner to mark the occasion. We had BBQ Beef Taebaek style - which translates as extremely expensive! It was delicious though!!!

Must run, everyone now wants my photo!
Susie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweets, my friend Mel was in Japan for a couple of months a few years back and they all kept going up to her and touching her hair because they were so amazed (she's blonde, too.)